In Soviet Armenia we paid attention to the environmental problems when close to the Ministers Union was created department of Surface and Subterranean waters use and protection. After six year on March, 1967 by the order of Supreme Union the department was reorganized into the national committee of Surface and Subterranean waters use and protection of the Ministers Union. On February 26, 1986 it reorganized into the National Committee of environment protection by the decision of Soviet Ministers (N119). In fact the nature protection was attached importance just 20 years ago. Than on January 8, 1989 it renamed to National Committee of Nature Protection by the decision of Ministers Council. On December 5, 1991 the committee was reorganized into the Ministry of Nature and Environment protection by the decree of Supreme Council. On August 4, 1995 the ministry renamed to the Ministry of Nature Protection and lithosphere by the decision of RA Government. The present name it carries since November 8, 1996. The ministry was liquidated in short time on 2000 and was included into the structure of the Agriculture and Nature Use Ministry.
The heads of the Ministry were:
Aramais Grigoryan /2014 up to now/
Aram Harutyunyan /2007 2014/
Vardan Ayvazyan /2001-2007/
Murad Muradyan /2000-2001/
Gevorg Vardanyan /1998-2000/
Sargis Shahazizyan /1997-1998/
Suren Avetisyan /1994-1997/
Karine Danielyan /1991-1994/
Vram Tevosyan /1991/
Henrik Tardjumanyan /1986-1990/
Minister of Nature Protection 2016 september up
Minister of Nature Protection 2014-2016
Minister of Nature Protection 2007 -2014
Minister of Nature Protection 2001-2007
Minister of Nature Protection 2000-2001
Minister of Nature Protection 1998-1999
1. When I became as a minister of Nature Protection I set a task in front of me to maintain the level of Sevan and than to raise it. For many years 252 million cubic meter water was realizing from Sevan and then as a result of our implemented works it has been possible to realize about 198 million cubic meters.
2. There were a lot of ardors tasks for solving; the protection of forest, air, land, water resources, as well as the most important issue was minerals which were executed savagely. There was raise a question that all minerals must have passports and one who wanted to execute it must have a license for that purpose. There were a lot of problems but It was not possible to give solutions them during one year. In any case I tried to lay down foundations for them. I think that enough works were carried out. For instance, the problems related with forests. At the end of my work experience we could get positive results regarded to deforestation we were reaching to our foresee results in 90% but we had no time: the time was running quickly and the jobs easily and I was not able to do more.
Minister of Nature Protection 1997-1998
During my work experience the environmental inspectorate of nature protection ministry. Wood – robbers and wooden areas were discovered, where serious deforestation was carried out. We could implement works for forest recovering by our scanty means. During this period in ministry’s structure was created department of special protected areas. For protection of animal and vegetation kingdom, water resources of “Sevan” national park, the fish robbing events were sufficiently decreased. I want to mention that in 1998 after durable break 160.000 gegharqunik type small fishes and 4.5 million whitefishes were released into Sevan. During that period corresponding projects for Gilli lake recovering were presented to international organizations. Than the great importance were given to the biodiversity in Armenia. The laws about the animal and vegetation kingdom protection were presented to the National Council for the affirmation. National project for struggling against the desolation. Armenia at that period began to participate actively to the conferences and symposiums related with ecological security issues where our points of view were represented. Armenia signed Aarhus Convention in virtue of which rights were given to society for participating on environmental legislative, executive decisions. During that period Armenia began to participate actively to the problems related with global changes of climate and they took part into the Kyoto Conference. We made a national activities plan for environmental protection for the first time. During that period “Climate change and population health” work were made where a lot of works were done. There are maps where the previous states of Armenian forests, spreading of semi-deserts were given. There were mentioned how they are changed and what influence had it non human health. During that period the balance project of Sevan ecology financing by World Bank. 2. Armenia is one of the most graceful corners where we have, we can say, almost all basic climatic zones, basic biological zones of vegetation kingdom, which maintenance has great importance. For that reason I think that we have to pay great attention to the ecological education of young generation. I have no information about the further continuation but I think that Armenian child has to be educated from the school and kindergarten that we have not damage to trees and we have to paid great attention to the nature and after that in future nature will back us more.
Minister of Nature protection and lithosphere 1994-1997
1. The most important problem for me was Sevan lakes problem: since 1991 the lake was emptying because of water taking on energetic purpose: From the second half of 1994 the water omissions from Sevan were allowed only on the basis of governmental decisions, that is to say, that in government were struggling each million cubic meter water, although the water level of Sevan was decreasing more and more till the end of 1996. As a result of these implemented works the level of the lake rises by 2 centimeter at the end of 1997 for the first time. The second problem, of course, was deforestations. As a result of our hard work was the deforestation factor lessening. After 1994 step by step realized the ministry which you see now. From 1995 to 1996 in the structure of ministry were included firstly state department of lithosphere than “ Armenian Forest (Hayantar)” national enterprise, Hdromet national service and Reserve committee. Enough specialists were included in the ministry and just that time we together with international organization start to think over problems regarded to forests recovering works
2. The works that we have started in time and would like to see finished have already completed and sooner they will have their results because of good politics.
I want to take the opportunity and congratulate my colleagues related with Ministry's 20th anniversary wishing successfulness in this hard work. I mention hard work, because it is really hard. This is thankless work but it demands serious, stubborn struggle in which I wish to my colleagues to include big volume of NGOs, society in their works. In this case they will have a success.
Minister of Nature and environmental protection 1991-1994
1. At that time one of the most important tasks was entering into the international scene. When we started to work it seems to me that the world was tumbled over our heads. Since that only Moscow is contacting with global world and suddenly we would to done this. But we were not ready for this.
I think that we were success in solving of this problem. We could create range of international programs which have been realized. In 1993 the first National Report was established. I want to mention that at that times only Russia from ²äÐ countries was established National Report. Because of scanty means the publication had modest look. From 1991 to 1993 the legislation basis of independent country started to modify and the ministry was promoted to that activity
Theoretically more work were done and less practically. War, blockage were chained us. The country's existence problem was more important and we had a lot of losses regarded to environmental issues, a lot of forests were deforested. It was in my duty to rise a question that there was a problem which have to be solved and I was always been replied that the existence of the country was more important. I was replied that the questions I raised were provisional. In this sense less work were done, it was not possible to introduce proper environmental order and we could not made the legislation to act and in this I have my own sin share.
Minister of nature and environmental protection 1991
1. Substantial works were done for making the structure work more transparent. I think that some successes were reached. We made the basis for legal field creation. A project was circulated according of which the Nature Protection committee in the new government structure must be an attached department to the Ministry but we success in project changing and we could register this building as a ministry
2. I have to confess that till that work I have no departmental experience and probably because of this I could not quickly organize work. The main task for me was to strengthen, stable the monitoring system for receiving effective information. Did you know that the information defining everything. Beside this I had the aim to create a body who could analyze the information and to gave scientific decisions, develop policy on the basis of which would act the other buildings.
President of Environmental Protection State Committee1986-90
H. Tardjumanyan is not in the Republic at the moment. He is working in National Development Project of Ukraine agriculture as an expert The environmental problems were deserted”, he mentioned during telecon”. The forests were deforestated, the environment were polluted. After stuff selection the committee stared to act, the water, air clearing works were started, the problems for flora and fauna protection were raised, and green areas were created. The Sevan's project was brought to the light which foresaw minimization of revealing waters. Committee was making a decision over environmental expertise of all global plans. There were a lot of projects but they were not implemented.
Reception of citizens